Question

AppleRules

How often do credit scores change?
Best Response Chosen by   Profile Image AppleRules

Technically, a credit score can change at any point in time. For example, if someone applied for an auto loan this instant, the hard inquiry from the credit application should instantly be reflected on the credit report and their credit score would then be affected and change.

Aside from the instant inquiries, credit scores also change whenever a credit report is updated with new balances, loans, or derogatory information from a creditors. The frequency of the updates can vary by the credit bureau and the lender. In most cases, you can expect your creditors to report new balances, payment activity, credit limit changes, or late payment information every 30 days. For that reason, it is a good idea to check your credit score for accuracy at least once a month.

Most Helpful Response

I think if your company is going to run this service you should have the updates every month like it should be . Mine had not been updated for serveral months. To me this is wrong when you want to check your credit score .

jaccid

Credit Sesame, is every 3 months on the dot.

credimprover

I agree. And my accounts listed here are inaccurate. I do not know how to change that. 

masterdog1

KEEP IN MIND EVERYONE, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR........

THIS IS FREE, SO NOT MUCH IS PUT IN TO IT TO MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS RIGHT AND UP TO DATE.......MR. REAL

credit score discrepancy

credit karma says 698  yet the same day i check equifax 742   transunion 736 and experian 756   why is credit karma so low?

palmaj6611

Because credit karma is a FAKO score and is calucated differently then scores from other sites. The only accurate scores are FICO scores. You can get your equifax and transunion FICO score from myfico.com.

purrcilla

Last month I paid off the balance of a $15,662 loan.  It took 30 days to show as paid on Credit Karma but I am astounded it had no effect on my credit score!

Irish109

Keep in mind tha Kredit Carma is a FAKO Vantage score not a true FICO. I would wgaer next month KC might have something update score wise. 

CwardMc40

Also know you guys--this site is TransUnion (the only truly always FREE credit score/report I have ever seen, great!), but don't panic when you get an updated credit card statement in the mail or email and CreditKarma is behind.Know that your "UpdateMyReport/Score" does not update on the weekends, so wait 'til Monday (no biggie, one little glitch).I love it though, thanks.

Bluesbaby11

My bank has reported no pmts in 5months and the CC is noe paid off. How do I get Credit Karma to reflect the payoff and from what I read it appears I should always have a small bal on this CC as it is our only credit card. Is that true?

aministerofGod

why is my credit history only showing up to jun...instead of october?

chevyman02

MY SCORE HAS NOT CHANGED IN A YEAR!

skywayken

why is my latest score way out of date? It is dated over a year ago. How can I get it updated?

caesars31

i would like to know when my credit score will be updated.it has been quite awile since my balances have changed.

thanks

htweezer

If I paid down both of my credit cards, how long does it take to show that change, and will it help my credit score?

maxdeem

My credit card balance is now 0$ my score sould have went up! Please update

Superhero v Mr.Reliable?

Remember, credit scoring is to protect lenders---as was said above. So, you pay off a $15,000 loan in one go---what does that tell a lender? That you have access to large amounts of cash at a moments notice and are, therefore, a good risk? Nope. They'll just see that as a one-off that in no way reflects your ability to CONSISTENTLY, RELIABLY & HISTORICALLY make (at least) minimum payments on your debts---even if those debts are large and long-standing.

You don't need to be a one-off payment "superhero"---you need to be (boringly) everyday, comon-or-garden reliable.

This is just my common-sense take on it---what do you think?

brianpeterson528

This is the best credit advise or comment i have ever heard. We are not entitled to anything from a lender. We have to prove we are worthy enough for them to lend THEIR money to. As for fees and such these lender charge, that i our fault. We choose to accept their offer and sometimes we have to pay the price. Instant-gratification is for the birds when it come to credit, just like most things in life.

Amazing how quick your credit score can go down, if you get additional credit or anything else, but it takes almost a wrath of God to get it to go up even if you pay off a debt  or two. I paid off two credit card debts total almost a thousand dollars, and no change in my credit score.  Still waiting to see that happen.

credit score

my credit score has been the same for a few months why does it take so long to updated a new score

credit score

my student loan now shows 0 balance from 11,000 but my score is the same ck has now 0 balance on my student loans but the score is the same does it take more time to see a change in my score to update

Okay, so just to clarify. I got all 3 reports and had some seerios errors, like a lien that was paid off 2 years ago showing the full balance, credit cards that I dont owe and such.

I just got a response to my disputes with the 3 bureus. Errors were deleted, lien reflects paid. Bills that said unpaid now reflect paid. I just got on this program today, but am also on Credit Sesame. This score is much lower. When will all the info on the reports be updated?

The above statement is so true! do anything to disrupt your credit ( check for a mortgage , check car insurance rates, check house insurance rates, charge $30.00 dollars on your credit card and within minuets your CREDIT REPORT AND SCORE WILL BE AFFECTED AND UPDATED!!! However, pay off the $30.00 and WAIT, WAIT, AND WAIT and just maybe it will get reported to your credit report within 90 days. Sounds BIAS towards the consumer. Any body care to challenge my statement??? And can anyone advise why this is so AND is this FAIR to the consumer??? Can credit karma please respond? Thank you!

To be fair, it's not 90 days. It is 30 days and charges don't show up immediately only credit inquiries. But your are right, the system was built to protect lenders from risk.

Review by
CK Moderator

PaMustang

You are right about the reporting.......go delinquent or inquire to a bank and its on your history pronto.......but pay off a bil like I did, and its been going on 3 weeks, it still haasn't reflected here on Karma, so I'm assuming that it hasn't been updated on the 3 credit companies either.

idaknows

paid off my cc's two months ago and still have not been update...really sucks

Norav

The system was built to get the highest interest possible for bankers to fill their pockets, not to protect them from risk.  It's insane how bankers get away with muder.  That's why the consumer can never seem to get ahead.  They want to KEEP us in debt.

purrcilla

I paid off my mortgage ($18,000) 6 months ago and my credit score did not change so don't hold your breath waiting for it to change unless it is something negative which will affect it immediately!

CwardMc40

no1mrrythem--You are EXACTLY right on. I navigated the system and finally after many, many ways end and hysterical I ended up with a compassionate V.P. at the ONE credit reporting bureau where you can actually send a handwritten letter to corp.ofc.--will reamin nameless--who, grasping my desperation and urgency to get qualified/reported accurately that day...in an almost impossible maneuver, CALLED my two delayed credit card reporters and ENTERED my balances as zero--my FICO zoomed to 700 for real, and my nightmare was over, just had to keep it there, but know that your characterization of WAIT, WAIT, AND WAIT, is precise, thank you.

tazguy123

I am experiencing the same situation.  Yes, the credit bureaus are designed to protect creditors but it should be in a fairer manner to the consumer.

If you have real complaints, keep your documentation of scores and now CREDIT BUREAUS are being regulated by the CONSUMER FINACIAL PROTECTION BUREAU.  They will look out for us.  No more rigging by the bureaus to just keep our credit scores as low as possible so that BANKS, their clients, can get higher interests rates from us.

SisuUSA

Creditors are paying for this to exist just as they underwrite the credit reporting bureaus; hence,  they make the rules: post payments when THEY post, not when you send and they receive. So if the back offices  are backlogged  and payments are delayed in posting, consumers pay the consequences and not the managers or employees. However, eventually no one has good credit and so no cars, no durable goods, no major purchases of clothing or sports equipment are made. All discretionary cash goes to rising food and utility bills... meanwhile consumers fret over credit scores? It is only going to cut lenders out of interest payments in the long term evenb if they get high intersest and fees in the short term. When consumers sit our of credit for 10 years, the value of money goes down. That is why we have 0% interest offers... we have sat out.  I jumoed back in and am sorry already; creditors are not quick to fix their own problems!  

What about when a Disputed item comes off of a credit report how fast does that affect your credit score?

Technically it is immediately after it is reported to the bureau. But keep in mind the report is not always immediate.

Review by
CK Moderator