Question

AppleRules

How long do the debts stay on your credit report and who and how do they get removed?
I have been told 7-10 years.

Best Response Chosen by   Profile Image AppleRules

Generally, all your credit history information, good or bad, remains on your report for seven years. If you file for personal bankruptcy, that fact remains on your credit report for 10 years.

In both cases, there is no action required from you. The information should be removed by the reporting credit bureau at the appropriate time. However, it is generally suggested that your check all three of your credit reports for inaccuracies at least once per year. You can do this for free on the government sponsored AnnualCreditReport.com. If you find any inaccuracies, you can dispute those items directly with the information provider and the reporting credit bureau.

ashleyct

Is the seven years from when you opened the card or when you closed the card?  Say I opened a card in late 2004 but paid it off and closed it within a year or so which date is used to determine when that credit information is removed?

it is the day the account was cloesed

I have several good accounts that were paid off in 2004 and they are no longer on my credit report. Would it have anything to do with a name change?

Closed accounts should still be in on your credit reports.

Review by
CK Moderator

I have repaid loans and closed credit cards on my report. They were all paid in full, on time, but my "total accounts" section has a grade of D (total score 738). Should I bother to get the older ones removed?

No need to removed old accounts. As a matter of fact, if they are accurate you can't really remove them anyways.

Review by
CK Moderator

I have a debt on my credit report from over 7 years ago, another company bought it now it's showing up as a new debt with a different start date on it. Is there anything I can do to get rid of it?

The most obvious is paying it. Otherwise, these companies have a right to collect the debt.

Review by
CK Moderator

JimmA

That's not right, if it's the same debt it has to be removed 7 years after it was reported 180 days delinquent. That's the law. It can not be sold and re-aged.

Dispute it and possibly look at getting a laywer if they won't remove it.

About 10yrs ago I filed bankrupcy and a divorce a year later, I checked my report recently and found that there were things on it that I have no knowledge of from exspouse, How do I dispute these things and have them removed, and do I have to dispute with all 3 agencies?

I went through a divorce. My ex wife ran up a lot of debt and now my credit score is low 523. How can I get a mortgage loan. Can you recomend any companies who would work with me.

In this environment, we don't know of any lender who will approve a mortgage.

Review by
CK Moderator

Obama Making Homes Affordable Program

Back in 2009 I got laid off from my job. I applied for the Obama making homes affordable program. I had the money for my mortgage payment, i just needed a temporary lower payment until i went back to work.

GMAC mortgage told me not to make two of my monthly payments and that it was part of getting on the program. Now come to find out, they turned it into the credit bureau as 2 late payment and now its on my credit report. They did not mention anything about doing this during our phone conversation. How do i get it removed? They also are showing i have a total of 4 late payments but when i called they are telling me it was only 2. Frustrating me. Any advice anyone?