Question

boseleatherman

How will taking myself off parents' account as authorized user affect my credit score?
My parents added me to their account probably 8 years ago as an authorized user, which remains my longest account in my credit history. I recently applied for my own card with the same company about 4 months ago and I'm wondering at what point is it safe to be taken off of their account. They don't have any issues with late payments or anything but their credit utilization ratio is a little higher than I'd like it to be. I guess the ultimate question is: does the value of the age of this account on my credit history outweigh the damage/slower credit score progression of having a 25-30% CUR attached to my name? Much appreciated in advance.

Most Helpful Response

Credit history counts for 15% of your score, while utilization counts for 30% of your score.  Any utilization over 30% hurts your score, if it is below 30% then it is OK.  Hope that helps.