Question

ebarnett003

How will paying off debt in collections raise my credit score?
I have a bill in collections right now and I also have some credit card bills and I was wondering if I paid them off in full with my tax return, how much it would affect my credit score.

Most Helpful Response

It will help some

That you have a bill in collections shows it hasn't been paid on a regular basis and the original creditor sold it to a collector in order to get some payment.  It's a negative on your credit report that will remain for up to 7 years past the date it gets paid in full.  T hat is one of the keys to good credit...making the payments on time every time and getting credit bills paid in ifull as quickly as possible.

Credit Karma was set up to provide the information and online tools to help people learn how to manage their credit so they can build and maintain a good credit score.  Please consider taking advantage of this great opportunity to learn how credit can work for you and how you can make it possible.