Question

FLRaysFan

How will a hard inquirty affect my credit score and for long?
I applied for a home improvement loan and was accepted, however I decided not to take it. How will this affect my credit score as far as points are concerned, and how long will it be before my points will go back up? My main concern is because I am planning on applying for a vehicle loan next year.

It only counts towards 10% of your score, so yes, you'll take a small hit.  Inquiries count for 2 years, then they don't matter.  When you apply for your auto loan, make sure to do all your credit checks within the same 30 day period, that way only the first inquiry counts against your score, the others are "freebies".  They know we have to shop around for large ticket items like cars and homes.  Best of luck!