Credit Advice

Have a question? Have advice to share? The combined knowledge and experience of everyone in the Credit Karma community can help you. Enter your question or help others below to get started!

Question

Posted in Credit Report
Profile Image

Question By
chezzy1111

0 Contributions
0 People Helped
How to verify debt with original lender
I have 11 accounts on my credit report that are in default, most in collections. The problem is that none of them are my accounts.

My assumption is that these accounts belong to my father. We have the same name, I am the 3rd, he is the 2nd. All my life I have had problems with us getting mixed up because of the name situation.

Unfortunately, due to problems with his wife (not my mother) we have not talked in over 2 years and cannot. She is a serious deadbeat so I am 99% sure this is their debt.

I asked the credit agencies to check the social security numbers and addresses on each I disputed, but they just say it is my debt and I doubt they really verified anything.

What I want to do is first verify the debt with the original party to make sure that this is not identity theft. Like I said, I am 99% sure it is my father, but I do need to eliminate the other 1% too.

I am hoping for suggestions on what to write for an initial contact and what information to give myself. I have done a google search but only find sites giving advice on small errors or on how to deal with legit accounts.

Because of all of this I have a score in the 400's, so obviously this needs to be dealt with.

Thanks for any help!

Tommy

Your Credit Scores Should Be Free. And Now They Are.

View your scores and reports anytime.

SIGN UP NOW
All Responses

Result 1-1 of 1Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 1   Previous | Next
Top Contributor
5038 Contributions
1134 People Helped
Most Helpful Response

Helpful to 1 out of 1 people

Contact an attorney that handles FDCPA cases. If what you say is true, you will have grounds to sue the companies and/or credit bureaus that are doing this to you, that's in addition to having them being removed from your reports.

Result 1-1 of 1Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 1   Previous | Next

Your Credit Scores Should Be Free. And Now They Are.

View your scores and reports anytime.

SIGN UP NOW

Reply to this Question

Write your response:
Enter Your Comments

The Credit Advice pages of the Site may contain messages submitted by users over whom Credit Karma has no control. Credit Karma cannot guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of any such messages. Some users may post messages that are misleading, untrue or offensive. You must bear all risk associated with your use of the Credit Advice pages and should not rely on messages in making (or refraining from making) any specific financial or other decisions.