Question

chezzy1111

How to verify debt with original lender
I have 11 accounts on my credit report that are in default, most in collections. The problem is that none of them are my accounts.

My assumption is that these accounts belong to my father. We have the same name, I am the 3rd, he is the 2nd. All my life I have had problems with us getting mixed up because of the name situation.

Unfortunately, due to problems with his wife (not my mother) we have not talked in over 2 years and cannot. She is a serious deadbeat so I am 99% sure this is their debt.

I asked the credit agencies to check the social security numbers and addresses on each I disputed, but they just say it is my debt and I doubt they really verified anything.

What I want to do is first verify the debt with the original party to make sure that this is not identity theft. Like I said, I am 99% sure it is my father, but I do need to eliminate the other 1% too.

I am hoping for suggestions on what to write for an initial contact and what information to give myself. I have done a google search but only find sites giving advice on small errors or on how to deal with legit accounts.

Because of all of this I have a score in the 400's, so obviously this needs to be dealt with.

Thanks for any help!

Tommy

Most Helpful Response

Contact an attorney that handles FDCPA cases. If what you say is true, you will have grounds to sue the companies and/or credit bureaus that are doing this to you, that's in addition to having them being removed from your reports.