Question

Stephaniejmnz

How to utilize my new secured credit card
I'm a college student, and i just recently received my first credit card from Capital One. I had to go with their Platinum secured credit card because this is my first time dealing with credit. It has a limit of $200, and I was just wondering what the best way to go about utilizing the card and building my credit with it is. How much should I actually spend from it each month, and how should I make my payments?
I have heard that leaving a small balance is good, but I am unfamiliar with all this, so I basically need it explained to me like a 5-year old.

Read the articles on this site to educate yourself.  With a $200 limit, you don't want to charge more than 30% or $60 at a time, and preferably less. Nothing states you can't pay for often than once a month to keep your utilization low. I usually pay my cards down every week, or bi-monthly when I get paid and always ON TIME!  Don't carry a balance where you're paying interest. Finance fees are wasted money. Only charge what you can comfortably afford every month as your credit line(s) and availability will increase over time. I use my cards for almost all my monthly expenses for the rewards. My poor credit started with a $300 secured card. I now have over $102,000 available credit on my cards. I still only charge what I can pay off. I continue to follow the methods I've outlined above. Good luck on your credit journey.