Question

Kanjishu

How to stop harassment.
How can I stop harassment - been going on for 8 years. Multiple phone numbers from same company but they never say anything. They keep changing the date on my credit report , now showing as 2013 just to keep my credit in fair status. I don't feel it's fair for them to keep harrassing me. How do I get rid of this menace?

Keep track of your credit report. If they continue to change the date contact an attoney. When you take them to court you will have evidence that's in your favor.

Assuming the account is clloection accounts, if so, then the collection account has report exclusion of 7 years plus 180 days from Date Of First Delinquency, that Date doesn't change nor it goes by any other dates. Per FCRA 605(A) any collection account is older than 7 1/2 can't be included on your credit report, if you aren't sure when was the DOFD? Give Credit Bureaus a call, they can tell you exactly when or when that particular account would be removed.

-

When a debt collector contacts you simply about a debt they own, regardless its age, its not automatically considered a "harassment", in FDCPA have set what might be considered harassment, so you might want take a look from FDCPA and your State's collection/consumer laws... You can send a "cease and desist" letter and or you inform them of your intend not to pay it (registered, signature required, delivered confirmation... etc) to debt collector, any further contacts by them would be in violation of FDCPA and its subject to be fined, however they are allowed to contact you, only to inform you if/when they are going to take legal action against you.