Question

kingsboro

How to stop collection agencies from selling to each other then adding to credit bureau
1 collection agency sells my information to another, each time this happens additional years are added to credit report. Seems like I will never be able to improve my credit

Most Helpful Response

Try sending a letter to validate debt

First of all, are these companies "re-aging" your debt? If so they are doing so ilegally and you can sue them for cost of your lawyers and up to $1,000 in small claims court. Debt can only be reported for a total of 7 years from your first deliquency (due date of your first nonpayment of the bill). Check out this website if that is the case. http://www.bills.com/re-aging-debt/

If the debt is aged correctly another technique is to send them a formal letter (certified mail) to ask for a validation of the debt; debt buyers may not have the legal right to even collect from you but consumers usually are not aware of this law. Here's a very good article explaining with sample letters you can use as a template.http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/debt_validation.shtml 

Another simple technique that has worked for me is to dispute collection agencies on your report online. I just check the option "I have no knowledge of this account". The agencies and credit beaurus only have 30 days to respond to your dispute and often the collection agency will just let it go or if they don't have a legal right to collect the item will be removed from your report. This works especially well with old debt (over 4 years old) that has been sold to more than one debt collector. In fact I would try this first. 
Hope that helps you. I feel your pain and just wanted to help another out struggling to recover from bad credit. I'm not an expert just one who has done alot of research online. The best thing you can do is arm yourself with knowledge and know your rights. Collection agencies count on you not knowing the law. 

Best, Jen from San Rafael, CA