Question

JoeDirt61

How to start paying off non credit card debt?
I have a little under $5,000 in debt(medical bills, financing electronics, furniture..etc). I've gotten calls from agencies about setting, but I don't know what I should do or how to go about it. I've heard that settling affects my number drastically; is there a way around this? Should I pay in full? My biggest amounts are almost 2 years old. Thanks in advance!

"Paid in full" vs. "Settled" makes no difference to the scoring systems, so you don't get different scores between the actions. Where it can make a difference is if someone is actually looking over your credit reports, but a lot of times any more at least for simple financing a person will not be looking at it. I suggest reading about the "statute of limitations" in your state to be sued for these types of debts. Read about the "seven year fall off for negative accounts". Read about "pay for delete agreements" Read about FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act). And DO NOT try to enter payment plans on these debts. Avoid communication with debt collectors until you have done some thorough reading and know how to handle them.