Question

Clysdale

How to remove an old account from the reports?
I have a credit card account from 1998 still reflecting in collections on my report. This account was closed, and the remaining balance was paid when I closed the account in 1998. However, CC company continued to charge interest on the "annual fee" for the cc, so it still reflects a balance due. It does not get removed after 7 years, the collection agency simply sells it to another agency and my time starts all over. How can I get this to stop? I am not paying the balance, as I told them in 1998 to close the account, paid the balance to zero, and they continued to charge the annual fee.

When is the last known activity on the account? This time around; be thourough, write them a letter (send it certified with a return receipt) Explain why you feel like you should not have to pay the remaining balance. (although you've waited almost 20 years to fight back. Smh!) Also write a dispute letter to the credit bureau(s) reporting this and tell them that this is an "old" account. Also ask the cc company for a transaction history. 9 times out of 10 they wil not produce one for you. Next step would be to file a compaint with the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) This company slaps huge fines on creditors whom try to rip people off. Make sure you get all your ducks in a row before filing a complaint, try to get as much info as possible from the creditor and the credit bureau(s).