Question

MiaFeliz

how to remove a CC that now belongs to my ex-husband? His balance owed is effecting my credit score.

You'll probably have to contact the credit card company, but I think the thing would have to be current (with no missed payments) in order for it to work. I don't know if all CC companies do it, but I did just that with AMEX 10 years ago when I divorced my ex-wife (I removed myself as an authorized user and holder; I had to provide a faxed copy of the divorce proceedings and such, but otherwise they were swift about it.)

--

Just note that once that happens (if they do it), the credit limit will likely be cut in half (AMEX did that - I found that out after a rather angry phone call from the aforementioned ex, who found out the hard way... I can't bring myself to feel too bad about that for some reason. ;) )

--

Note that if the CC doesn't voluntarily do it, you can get the court to order it, in which case you then re-contact the CC company and fax them a copy of the court order.