Question

cselby

How to raise my score
I have a 100% on time payment history and have had it for years. I have two credit cards with a combined limit of 1300, both are current and have never been late. I have a year old auto loan for 11,500 again current and never late. Before that I had an auto loan for 18,000 that I paid off, never late.

I have derogatory marks from medical debt when I was younger. I know this is hurting me. But I've read no matter if I'm paying they will still be there.

Besides getting more credit cards is there anything I can do to raise my credit? It's pretty low and it seems no matter what I do it only floats up and down 10points or so

Most Helpful Response

Thank you, I will check it out.

Do some more research

CreditBoards dot com is a great resource for people in your position.

These factors influence credit score

1) Payment history - 35%

2) Debt Amounts - 30%

3) Length of Credit History - 15%

4) New Credit - 10%

5) Credit Mix - 10% 

So if you carry a balance on your credit cards (#2 - then your score is impacted up to 30%), If you have a combined limit of 1300, then you should carry a balance only on one card of between 1 and 10%.  The balance is not calculated on your statement date, but on the posting date which is typically always different than your statement date (see on credit karma when the accounts say "reported").  you want to look your best during that time.

How to grow your score

1) Read CreditBoards, once you are familiar with whats going on, then post questions

2) Make sure you have a balance only on 1 card and its between 1 and 10% of amount of card

3) Join any of these credit unions (penfed, dcfu, usaa, psecu, navy federal) - (see creditboards)

4) Work to get the medical info off your report, creditboards can help.

5) Don't apply for credit unless you are sure you will get a card (see creditboards)

HTH