Question

CSW12150

How to protect my Credit History from Identity Fraud?
I recently received Income Tax Returns from Michigan and Indiana --- I have never lived in either state. They both had my correct name and address and SSN. I have reported this error to the IRS and they will be sending me the necessary forms. I wanted to let you know that there may be some activity that I did not authorize. The ONLY debt that I have is for MIDAS which I am making monthly payments until the debt is paid in December 2014.

Hi CSW, that's a scary situation! While we're not able to assist you personally with advice in the Credit Advice center, but here is a blog post we've written for members who may be victims of identity theft: http://blog.creditkarma.com/personal-finance/what-to-do-if-youre-a-victim-of-identity-theft/

You may want to consider taking some additional steps, such as a fraud alert on your credit reports, to safeguard your identity. 

You also may want to make sure m you keep your Social Security Cards (everyone in the family) in a portable safe or lock box since you only need those a few times in your life, but the numbers are a gold mine to Identity thieves.

If I were you, I would freeze my credit.  I did this years ago and it is great peace of mind.  When your credit is frozen nobody can pull a credit report on you without a special PIN number, that only you will know.   Just go online to each credit bureau's website and for a nominal fee your credit is frozen until you "thaw" it by using a special PIN number (different number for each bureau).  Whenever you need to apply for credit, go online and use your PIN number for that bureau and your credit is automatically "thawed" for 30 days so you can shop for whatever it is you want.