Question

sokier

How to open lines of credit with low credit score 612
I have a 612 credit score. I corrected all errors on my credit report and even paid or made payment arrangements on any collection accounts that I had. I don't own any credit cards and pay all my bills on time. It appears that my credit score is low due to no credit card utilization and the age of my credit lines is a little over a year ( cell phone bill and utility account). Basically my credit is taking a hit for not using credit or having an established credit history. How can I improve my credit score and establish a credit history if I don't have credit to begin with for approval?

Go to your bank.

speak to a new accounts rep or your personal banker (depending on your bank)

Explain that you want to build credit. ask about a secured card or a card with a low credit limit. If you have a history with the bank they will work with you to help you get credit established. 

Building credit takes time,  once you have that first card, make all your payments on time and keep utilization low., you should start seeing your scores rise and once its over 625 then apply for another card. Use this site and others like it to learn what good credit takes and how to manage it. Education is the best weapon! 

Good Luck

Also, credit unions are a great resourse.  If you have one near you, ask them for a Credit Builder Loan.