Question

pastelskies

How to not get my credit checked too many times during the property buying process?
I'd like to buy a lot of land and build a dome home on it, which both may check my credit and I have no clue about the process being a first time home and property buyer. I would also like to find a grant that will pay for building an energy efficient home, if that exists, and don't know who will check my credit or how many times and how to know the right thing to do ahead of time.

In a basic mortgage (where you buy the lot and building all at once) you do not need to worry about the inquiries.  In fact you should plan on shopping to several companies for the mortgage all within the same week.  Everyone will hit you with a hard inquiry, but models all look at those as a single inquiry.  The same for shopping for a car loan.

But you are talking about several things here that maybe someone here can help with or you need to research.  You are going to need two loans, one to by the lot (at least one hard inquiry), then a second building loan (another hard inquiry). Typically these, once the home is built, will be rolled over into a regular mortgage.  I am not sure how the scoring models will look at shopping for the first two loans, but since these SHOULD be short term the need to shop and get the best interest rate is not so critical as when you shop to get the mortgage to rioll these two into.  If you do not currently have many hard inquiries this should not affect your score too bad, and inquiries lose their detrimental effects fast so should not be your main concern.