Question

15Jane

How to improve credit when still on mortgages; ex will not remove me.
Debt to income poor, still on mortgages as my ex will not refi to remove me. Legal action did not result in court mandate to get it done. Have cabin free and clear, any way to use that equity to improve my situation? To add insult to injury ex is currently in bankruptcy proceedings, house exempt from collections.

use the cabin

See if it qualifies for an "Equity line of credit". The line of credit souldn't cost you much if you don't use it. But it will increase your available credit.  You might want to check with a lawyer about that Mortgage.   

If you are being held responsible for the debt then you should have a say in how its being handled.   

New Credit

Ask your current bank/credit union about their credit building programs. You will probably have to open a secured credit card or secured personal loan. Be sure to both even if you have to open up an account with a local bank/credit union. Having both will help your score go up! Also set your payments up to be auto debited from your main money source. This will prevent you from ever being late. I hope this helps.