Question

Sygnus

How to get score corrected from one credit card company
Husband died, I requested my name be on account only. They would not send paper statements only email. My server was not working (Windstream) Finally when statements received account was paid and paid they kept send and IOU and I kept paying the balance until they finally refunded over $670.00 back to me for overpayment. I made numerous phone calls to them to no avail. Then they caused my credit score to drop from the 800's to the present score. How can I correct this. I still have the same finances as I did prior to my husband passing.

First, finances really have nothing to do with credit (income doesn't matter, money you have in the bank doesn't matter, etc.).

Why did you keep paying the balance over and over? Obviously there was an error if they kept billing you for the same thing.

As far as getting the negative info undone, that may be extremely difficult if not impossible. Even if you get an account squared away, any negative info that was placed prior, such as late/missed payments, is not automatically removed.

Obviously, the company had bad business practices, to not credit your payment and to keep billing you and to avoid communication with you. You may have some leverage here at getting the account changed in your favor or removed from your credit reports all together. But keep in mind that if it is removed all together, damage could occur if there is more positive info associated with the account than negative info. You may want to run this by a consumer law attorney to see what they can advise you. Be very careful in the future about paying bills sent to you, just because you receive a bill, doesn't mean it is legitimate. There are so many scammers out there today that have all kinds of tricks to get people to pay bills. If you know someone really good with finances and is a trustworthy individual, it may be helpful to ask them questions concerning bills that don't make sense.