Question

oldnamvet

How to get my name as co-signer off my son's credit card
My son, Michael, has a VISA card from DuPage Credit Union in Illinois. In 1997 when he was in high school I co-signed for his credit card. Over the past year or so he was either late and/or missed a payment which directly affected my FICO score. Is there any way I can resolve this issue, regarding my credit, so his actions don't directly affect me? The account says I'm a joint owner but I'm only the co-signer. Any help? Suggestions? Is it impossible to get my name off his account?
Thanks for your help.

Most Helpful Response

Co-signer is joint owner because, when you co-sign, you are guaranteeing that the original borrower (your son) will make all payments on time as agreed or else YOU will.  The only way out is to have him get the credit card in his name only, but this account will still be part of your credit history for 7 years after that.