Question

Willow898

How to get Authorized User off my Credit Report
My parent added me as an authorized user on their credit card. I do not want to be an authorized user. Nor do I like that it is showing up on my credit report.

How do I get it off both my credit report and off the account?

Do I need to contact the bank first, and then the credit bureaus? Or contact the credit bureaus first? I know that the bank will stop reporting me, but I don't want the account on my credit report in the first place.

Not sure the correct order to do this in.

Authorized User

I think your parents have to contact the bank to remove you from the account since they are the primary account holders. I would do that first but keep in mind that it will reduce the number of open accounts you have and unless there is a problem with the account all having it there does is help you. I'm not sure the credit bureaus will remove it, I think they will move it to "closed accounts" and those remain on your report for 10 years. You can try. I would send them a letter explaining your rationale and see where it goes. Good luck.

You can simply call up the credit card customer service line and ask them to remove you from the card.  A few days later, write letters to all three bureaus and tell them it is not your account.  It should disappear completely.