Question

asw0502

How to get a negative collection item removed.
When I pulled my free annual credit report I found some negative items. I have one item that I tried to dispute and it is from a collector that is claiming I owe money from the cable company. I called the cable company (who I no longer have business) to check and see if they showed a balance. They said no. I filed a dispute online with the credit bureau. They responded that the collector verified the information. How is this possible? What should I do now? It's only $94 but I don't owe it.

Most Helpful Response

request that the cable company provides you copies of the report that you do not owe them any money and dispute that with the credit bureaus regarding the charge from the specific collector and proof of no moneys owing from the original creditor. the bureaus will investigate and correct any errors off your report. if the collector says you owe 94.00 but the original creditor (cable company) states that you don't owe any money then I don't see why disputing this issue would become a hassle. keep in mind once you dispute it does take time for investigation.