Question

CallieByrd

How to further strengthen my credit at 18.
I have a 722 currently. 1 credit card since May that I pay off every month and applied 1 month after turning 18. I do use around 50-60% utilization and have been working to cut that back down. I have 2 credit inquiries. One for American Eagle credit card.. Wish I hadn't applied but that is the the 1 denial.

I have no accounts in collections.

What can I do to further strengthen my score? I know cutting back on utilization will help, but other than that? Should I apply for a second CC?

You're definitely doing the right thing. I'm happy to see someone so young be so responsible! At your age, you can open another credit card or 2. It will make your score drop temporarily, but it will come back up.

Having a couple of open accounts will lower your utilization %. Make sure you don't max out your card(s). Keep making on-time payments. As your accounts get older, your score will go up, so try to avoid opening new credit later in life. Keep the card(s) you have now open, since having an established credit history will improve your score.

Keep being responsible - don't miss any payments, don't go too nuts on opening new accounts or spending, and your score will improve over time.

Kudos! :)