Question

Distances3

How to fix bad credit history for work related credit pulls?
The main question: What do Employers see when they pull credit for potential hiring? ( Any improvement suggestions would be great )

My situation: At the time I was declined for two different jobs, both of which sent back a compacted version of my credit report. They very professionally listed "Thank you for your interest with our company, We have chosen to pursue another applicant." After a stellar interview, and sorting out with my "New Boss" time frames and work related situations I will be assisting with. Which really leads me to believe I didn't get hired because of my debt history. At the time I had five delinquent accounts ( 2 CC's, 1car repo, 1 Phone company, and a bank overcharge ) . My wife and I lost our jobs within the same month during a volatile time and took anything we could which was min. wage to stay afloat as well as depleting our savings. The payments for our monthly expenses were way to high for the income we made, so we chose (poorly) to live month to month scraping by rather than negotiating our debts. It's been about four years with these debts at this time I've paid off two of them, but three remain.

Two of the debts about 2,000$ and we have the means to pay them back. what would be the best way to go about it? Should I contact them and pay it off or should I let it run it's course and be taken off in another year or two?

I have about ten months before I start applying for certain lucrative ventures that the pre-employment screening will be extreme. ( Credit pulls, Background checks, Calls to previous employers, and several tests )

Any suggestions would be great, I'm back on my feet and want to stay that way! The last thing I really need is to get decline another job opportunity for a hardship past.

Thanks in Advance!

Most Helpful Response

As you probably already know, paying old negative accounts does not remove them from your credit reports, it only marks them as paid with a $0 balance. If you attempt to pay any more of the negative debts off showing on your reports you should attempt "pay for delete" offers. This is when you get them to agree to remove the account from your reports in exchange for your payment. Do some googling and reading on "pay for delete agreements".

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When an employer pulls your credit report they see your credit report. There is no additional information that they see and there is none lacking.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Paid debt will surely look better than unpaid debt when an employer is looking over your reports, but the fact that you have negative accounts and collections on your reports is not going to look good whether they are paid or unpaid.

I forgot to mention, do some reading on "Goodwill letters" as well. You will want to send these to the creditors/debt collectors that you've already paid if the negative account is still on your reports. A goodwill letter is a letter that you send to the creditor/debt collector after you've paid a debt pleading with them to remove the negative account from your reports.