Question

RedHottG2

How to find out when a debt in collections will go away ?
I have done some reading here from what I gather is if I pull my credit report or contact the collections agency my debt in collections will start over again. I have only one debt in collections from FIN CNTL SVC (not sure who that is) for $424. What I want to be able to do is find out when it will fall off my credit report or bureau BEFORE pulling my credit or contacting the collections agency that bought the debt. I'm sure this is from long ago and has to be getting close to the seven year cut off point. I honestly think it's past the seven year mark but I guess it wouldn't still show up would it ? I just don't want to do something that will reactivate it for another seven years if it's about to go away. But I want to find out if that's soon to happen or not so I can figure out what steps to take next. Thanks for any help!

It's likely a mistake!!

If you are not currently hea ring from a collection agency by mail or phone call (they tend to be as tenacioius as bulldogs) then it's likely an error on your credit report.  Go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all three credit reports.  Look them over very carefully and file disputes on all WRONG information (not my account, wrong address/phone number, etc) with the credit bureau reporting same.  They have to investigate and either verify or delete the disputed items.

Pulling your reports will not reactivate the time frame on a debt collection so check it out and make sure you do so once a year.  Likely, at the bottom of the specific entry, you'll find the date this thing is likely to fall off.  What you may also wish to check out is the Statute of Limitations for Collections for your state.  In my state, it's 6 years, but other states are as low as 3.  Once the SOL has expired, the debt is no longer collectable, even if it is still showing on your credit report.

Hope this helps.