Question

Mrmess49201

How to delete collection accounts
I have several accounts in collections which I am trying to get settled and was told to only pay if they will delete the account. I have asked for this with 2 collection agencies but was told that they don't do that, they just report to the creditor the status of my account so if it was settled it would be reported as paid In full for less than full balance. How do I get them to delete it all together? Do I have to settle the collection agency then contact the creditor to have it deleted? Help I don't want to pay something if it's not going to boost my score.

Most Helpful Response

A Pay to delete

The Collection Agency is right to a degree . The people on the phone don't have the authority make this kind of agreement.  

Put your request in a letter.  Check out the articles on "offer and compromise" and "pay to delete" for an idea of how to write your offer. Make the letter personal. Tell them why you can't pay the full amount or how you got into this situation.  mail your offer to the collection agency Certified mail, return Reciept Requested.  Address it Attn:  Account Manager.   The manager can make that kind of agreement. When they respond they will either agree to your terms or they may make a counter offer. Never pay a cent until you have a written agreement. Then follow through on any promises you make. 

Mrmess49201

Thanks for your help with this. I wanted to find out though about credit card debt. I have called several of my credit cards in collections however each one told me that is not their policy or that they are not able to delete the trade line. Does sending a letter help get these deleted as well? From what I am being told, no credit card company will delete it completely, only report as it is paid. What is your knowledge on this.

Try a little harder. Ask to speak to the manager and tell that individual the same thing.... If they will not agree to it.  Try reaching out to the original creditor concerning your account. Tell them you would be more than willing to pay the full amount if they would remove the negative item out right..... If none of these methods work,,,,, just pay the bill. It still has a positive impact on your credit file....

Mrmess49201

Thanks for your reply. When I spoke with the collection agency they said the original creditor wouldn't do anything because they purchased the account from them. I did speak with a manager who also told me that they do not delete items because they have to report the account accurately and that they have a contract with the credit reporting agencies. If I settle with them, does that still help my credit at all? I am trying to purchase a house, the main reason I'm working on my credit.

Mrmess49201

Sorry, I also wanted to ask you; does getting an item deleted only work if you can pay it in full? I am not able to pay everything in full because I have about 7 accounts all from $450 to $1200.