Question

HappyUnicorn815

How to deal with Student Loans Taking Over Credit Report When They Make Up 18 Out of 20 Items?
Hello everyone - I have recently received my free credit report as I am trying to get aboveboard in finances for 2017. Upon receiving my report I found that there are 18 negative closed (gone to collections) accounts on my credit report. I have two other closed - but paid - accounts I plan on getting removed ASAP. I have no other credit on the report at all. I am not sure how to approach this because the accounts are all from the same creditor. My loans were deferred while I was in school. Once I finished, they became active. I changed contact information and missed out on the bi-annual deferment calls via telephone (I totally dropped the ball, I know). My question is, what to do now? Is there a way to get these consolidated into one? Pay for removal? or Just have more positive accounts to outweigh the negatives. I have a secured credit card and a self-lender account that will report monthly, but they will start showing up until the end of January. I would like to see my credit score improve within the next 6 months.

Most Helpful Response

You cannot get student loans off your credit  report until they are paid in full, no matter how long that takes. Read the information onb this site, take action and work on getting those loans paid in full ASAP. Your credit will not improve much at all until you do.

consolidated

First off don't plan on seeing your Credit Score improve for at least a year or better from the sounds of it. Sounds like you have put yourself in a mess. 

You DO NOT WANT consolidated anything.  EVER.

Attack one Loan at a time, smallest to biggest,  then move on to the next one.