Question

Posted in Auto Insurance

radles

How to correct driving record when insurance company has reported inaccurate information.
Recently I shopped for new car insurance. I discovered my driving records shows I have 6 accidents reported. I have never been in a single accident in 34 years of driving. How and who do I contact to get corrected. I am at a loss

That is not a credit related issue, but I would suggest contacting the Department of Motor Vehicles and question the reports, even asking for copies of the alleged citations you supposedly received. You would have had to sign the ticket and the vehicle license number would also be on the citation.

Pull your own reports from Lexis Nexus's website (consumerdisclosure.com). Confirm what is on it and exactly which company is reporting it. Then contact each company to correct (you may have to provide a driver's license number or other personal information for them to compare). Once they report it correctly, have them provide you documentation that you can send to Lexis Nexus directly to update their database. If you share names with someone (i.e Jr or Sr or II, III, IV) you will want to make sure driver's license numbers or date of births are on any documentation.

It could be that the information got added to the wrong person so it could be really simple to correct. Finding out which companies have reported the accidents is the first step, then dispute with each (if there are different ones). Contacting the DMV for accidents may be fruitless (especially if no police report was ever filed) so I would go there last.

Keep in mind that comprehensive claims may come up as "accidents" and what you think is just a little fender bender is still an accident (you didn't do it on purpose right?). Other things like use of rental car or emergency roadside service may come up as well. So again try to get your own report from Lexis Nexus to take a look yourself.