Question

Cheney62

How to correct an error on credit report
My ex-husband refinanced after we divorced. My name and SSN are not listed on that mortgage but show up in my credit history as an active loan. How do I get that removed?

Most Helpful Response

I would contact the mortgage company first and make sure you are not somehow listed on the loan. Then ask them for a letter stating that you are not on his loan, and submit them to the credit bureaus as a dispute. I believe there are templates for dispute letters on myfico.com somewhere, if that helps.  You may also be able to just do a search for a disput letter template online.