Question

SMof2

How to contact a creditor ? to take care of a negative mark..
I have a creditor that is on my account and Have tried numerous times to settle the account, however the Phone numbers for the collection agency are bogus or they dont answer ?? it rings 3xs and then hangs up.. original creditor says I owe more than on credit report, but shows I has some help from a government agency paying a portion. but they no longer have the account cause it was sold.. ??? (its a utility Bill ).. I want to make payments but not sure who to pay.. and get it taken care of ..

First, it is usually not wise to enter payment plans with debt collectors. I see many people do this and with the interest and fees charged by debt collectors people can pay for years and not have the balance change. You can also reset the "statute of limitations" to be sued for a debt if you enter a payment arrangement. Note: the credit reporting time period of 7 years CANNOT be reset by that, just the SOL is subject to resetting. If you are unable to contact the debt collector (which you shouldn't be doing anyway unless you can pay in full) I would consider disputing the account and hope for removal. Keep in mind though that disputing can have negative effects if things don't go your way. Your best bet at this point would be to do some reading on dealing with debt collectors and paying old collection accounts. Also do some reading on "pay for delete agreements".

Have you tried sending them a certified letter? If they do not respond that way either, then you can probably file a dispute with the bureaus - if the creditor does not respond to them either, it disappears, no?