Question

silverone62

how to close account with 0 balance account so it will come off my credit report?
I have 4 credit account I have paid off and don't use anymore, Why is I still being pennalize for close account with no activity on them? Will getting them off my credit account help my credit score more?

Most Helpful Response

My understanding is that the reporting of closed or inactive accounts remains in effect for whatever length of time is indicated in the state you live in.  For example: bankruptcy typically is on your report for 10 years, after which it disappears completely.  Credit accounts may stay forever.  If the accounts are not actually closed, then use them for a purchase or two, make 2-3 payments to pay back off.  Not only does it show you are responsible with the credit given, it also helps to improve your score by showing a low debt to income ratio versus your ratio being out of balance.