Question

Jamezon

How to check if closed collections have been removed from my credit history?
Hi,
Something strange has happened. I have very little credit history with no open credit cards. I had 3 collections open on my credit history from college trips to the ER, bringing my credit score to 580. So I graduated last year, and paid off 2 of the 3 accounts in full. They are now marked as "removed" on C. Karma. When I first paid them off, my credit score went back up to like 650. All of a sudden I checked my score again recently and it was down to 539! I literally have not done anything else -- so I'm wondering whether the drop was because I paid off the accounts and they are still on my credit history (were never removed), or because the 3rd unpaid account is somehow affecting my score more. One thing that Credit Karma has noted is I don't have enough open accounts.

Can someone help me make sense of all this mess. Where do you think the drop in my score came from after the brief increase, and does it have something to do with the closed collections still being on my history somewhere?

Thanks much.

Most Helpful Response

I am not exactly sure what is going on, but I have seen reports from others that these non-fico scoring systems will drop your scores when collection accounts are removed if collection accounts were the only thing on your credit reports. And yes, if you still have a collection on your reports it will hurt your credit. What you need to do, right away, is to start reading everything that you can find on credit, how it works, how to use it, how to build and maintain good credit. One of the biggest problems that you have right now is that you are not working on building a credit profile *well that in addition to the remaining collection.  Clean the negatives from your reports if possible and then get some good accounts reporting. Most people starting out with credit building or rebuilding will need to start out with a SECURED credit card, just make sure it reports to all three credit bureaus. Capital One is a good start.

Someone please answer this good sir.