Question

CreditRookie99

How to Cancel a dispute
I disputed a closed collections account on my credit report. The creditor told me if I paid in full that the account would be removed from my credit report. Should I cancel my dispute and contact the collection agency?

Most Helpful Response

cancel a dispute

No, never cancel a dispute. This is a record of your disagreement and for any reason it would go to court, the first question would be "why did you cancel your dispute", because they told me????

Another thing is, It will depend on WHEN you filed your dispute. If you filed a dispute when you were first charged, and filed within thier time limit, then I would see no reason to cancel your dispute until they settle it with you.

If long after you were charged on your account, and it went into collections, THEN you decided to dispute the matter, I don't think you have justification to dispute.

Either way, it sounds like you did not pay this collection and it is still showing up on your report. I know (from my own experience) that it will remain on your report for several years. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but up to 7 years I think. During this time it will affect your credit score negatively. If you DO pay them off, they typically will remove it from your score. This doesnt happen overnight, so I would recommend keeping any and all records you can to the fact you paid that debt so you have something to back you up with (just in case)