Question

andy1416

How to better credit score for student
What can I do to better and/or raise credit score? I'm a student and only work part time. What are the steps to begin establishing good credit?

Assuming you don't need student loans, your best option is probably a secured credit card. There are reviews for several cards on the Credit Karma site. The key is to make sure you make the payments on time and try not to carry a balance. Here is how my first credit card experience went:

► I chose The Capital One Secure Master Card. For a $99 deposit, I was given a $300 credit limit.

► Each month, on or before the due date, I would pay the balance down to $5. This established a payment history, kept my utilization at 1%*** and prevented me from paying any real interest.

► After a few months, my score had risen about 50 points.

***If you pay the balance down to less than 1%, it will actually show up as 0% and you will not get the boost from the Open Utilization.