Question

Posted in Taxes

HoosierNeedsHelp

How soon is it legal for a state to put a lien on your home for taxes?
Owe Indiana state taxes for 2014 ONLY! Called to set up payments and was told the amount had already been forwarded to collections! This was in June, 2015. How long should the state wait until they send tax bills to the sherriff's department and put on your credit report? Is this legal so soon after filing??? I understand if it was a year old but not just weeks! Anyway, I am paying through the sherriff's department now but the state never gave me a chance to set up payments thorugh them at all! This just does not feel legal to me at all. HELP please!

I believe they can file at 60 days, but I'm not positive on that time frame. If they sent a demand letter with a date, then they can file a lien within 10 days of the demand payment not being met.  Google:  Indiana state tax lien assistance.  Hopefully you'll be able to find some guidance and assistance.