Question

RickyC07

How soon after a Bankruptcy...
So, I have my BK hearing in a few weeks. I was just wondering, how soon after my hearing can I apply for a credit cad so that i can begin to rebuild my credit? I have already been getting pre-approvals-should i respond to one of those after my BK hearing, or should I wait until the discharge?

Most Helpful Response

A bankruptcy is going to kill your credit for ten years, so disregard the "pre-approvals" because they are not likely to yield positive results.  The only way to effectively start rebuilding your credit after a bankruptcy is to get a secured credit card and use it smartly (20% or lower usage & pay in full every month).  After the bankruptcy is completed, you may qualilfy for "normal" credit cards and should get them, but the usage and pay in full advice still stands in order to build a high credit score.