Question

Zak4500

How should i handle wanting a new credit card?
Hi guys and gals, so i currently own 4 credit cards, all paid off save for one with a balance of $200/$750 on it. 2 of the others have a $500 limit, and my first card ever has a $1500 limit. I was thinking about getting a new card that hopefully would have a higher limit, mostly for when i take a vacation that way i do not max out a card instead. I have a CK score of 713, i am 20 yr old male, never missed a payment in 2 1/2 years on any cards. and i was looking at the CitiĀ® Diamond PreferredĀ® Card. It said i had a good approval margin and it looked like what i wanted. That being said i can be immature at times in decisions and so i turn to you.

I want to know if this card is a good idea? Chances of having a higher credit limit? I would love to see 1,500 but 1,000 would be nice as well. and if i do get this card, i may want to cancel one of the $500 limit cards that i would probably never use again. Please help!

before appling for new credit

First see if you can get the limits on your existing cards raised.  contact them and if your history is good they should be able to raise your limits. 

I agree with icuhowie,  Do Not take the offers on these websites.  I hear all to often that they say you should be qualified but then don't get approved. 

Here's my trick.  When your on sites like this or your bank you deal with, Do some "Mining"  by that I mean look at and explore the options on the site for the card you want. but don't apply for it on-line.  do this 2 or 3 times and you will probably get a "Pre-approved" offer for the card in the mail.  This seems to work on almost any site that you have to sign in to (i.e. one that has your mailing address in their system)   I did this recently with a card here on CK and a week later i recieved an offer for  0% for 24 months on the card I was looking at. And it was 0% for twice as long as the online offer. I also did this on my Credit Union site for an auto loan.  2 days later i recieved a Pre-approval in the mail for $25,000 loan at 2.87%. 

You are more likely to get better offers if they are pursuing you.