Question

kristinepassons

How score is effected if added as authorized user on new credit card?
My boyfriend recently was approved for a credit card. His credit score is only a bit lower than mine but his length of credit history is much shorter (approximately 1 year only). He is also not the best with financial decisions which is why it has taken so long for him to be approved for a credit card. I did add him as an authorized user to my credit card which raised his score by over 50 points but, before he adds me as an authorized user to his credit card, I want to ensure that it will not LOWER my score by DECREASING the average length of accounts.

Why on Earth would you want to be added to his card? It will do nothing and you already said that he has not been responsible in the past with credit, so his actions will affect you. The account will also lower your average age of accounts (it has an effect on average age of accounts, that is why most people get added as an authorized user to increase account age). Do not give him your credit card to use, adding him as an authorized user is plenty enough to help him, once again, do not let him use your credit, I cannot tell you how many times things will go terribly wrong by letting a boyfriend/girlfriend use one's credit.