Question

KarmicJosh

How often to apply for new cards?
How do you balance between opening new CCs and keeping low hard inquiries?

I'm just opened 3 new cards to build credit history. I'm sitting on a 634 score with 4 hard inquiries now and 4 CCs (my score should go up once the new cards are reported). I don't need credit now, so I'm just keeping 10-20% utilization and paying in full, but I'd like to get more cards early to build Average Age and Credit Limits for the future.

How often do you apply to new cards, and what hard inquiry count do you stay around? Is there a score at which you get approved without a hard inquiry?

Most Helpful Response

sounds like your on the right track

I would wait for a while to open any more new cards.

heres my rule of thumb:  get your score over 700, utilization at 10% or less and wait until you have 4 or fewer inquiries.  Over six inquiries will drop your score.

your goal should be to have available credit equal to 1 years income. 

Good luck!