Question

andytn

how much will my score be affected if i pay off every debt?
I currently have a 520 Experian and 597 Transunion score, I owe approximately $2,800 over 7 different accounts, they have seemed to refresh themselves over time so I figured instead of hoping they fall off just go ahead and pay them off because I want to buy a house within the next two years. will my credit score go up at all by paying these accounts off? I've heard mixed answers so I would really like some clarification on this please!

You want to do some Pay for Delete Letters on the accounts that are in Collections.   You want everything in writing other options.

You want every other account Paid off , BUT do Not Close the accounts.

Keep ALL of your Paper work because when you go for a Home Loan they may want to see that the accounts are paid off.

If they significantly reduce your revolving utilization then they can help.  However, if these are charge offs or collections then they will not really help.