Question

vbo

how much will my credit score improve by getting a tax lien withdrawn from my file.
this tax lien was paid off in 2009, but continued to report each month. this was causing me to receive
higher APR on my cards, and issues with new credit.
I have since requested that this is removed, as I was able to obtain a withdrawl letter from the IRS.

Public Records Stay

Any lien is due to some  legal action which is made part of publlic record.  Same goes for bankruptcy.  They cannot be removed from your credit report until the required reporting time (10 years) has passed, then they'll drop off.  There is no way to change this since it IS part of your credit history.

keoke779

Check all 3 credit reports: Experian, Equifax and Transunion to make sure that the trade line shows "Paid ".  If it doesnt, dispute it thru each of their websites dispute sections by letting them know that it was paid and the date it was paid off.   Each of them will update your profile and it will improve your score in the mean time until it falls off the report.

bmclure200

Not exactly true!!! IRS has a fresh start program, if the back taxes are paid or arrangments have been made, they will remove the lien from the credit report.  I have done just that.  Google IRS Fresh Start Program!

tvgypsy

tax lien was filed in error and supposedly was made known to credit reporting agencies yet it still appears on my record. I have notification from the Stae of California that they had reported the erroneous lien to the agencies.