Question

CreditQuestionsGuy

How much do collections affect a credit score and will this help my score?
I've managed to be dutiful in paying all my open accounts timely and have no delinquent payments on any of my accounts anymore. However, I do have 3 accounts in collection.

One will be resolved once I mail back some equipment, though I need to request them to remove it from my report.

The other account I have setup a payment plan and have been paying them $50 a month for the past year, however, there is still an open collections acount on my report with a balance. Will writing a letter to them convince them to remove the report?

Finally, I have a small collections account open for $83. I am writing a letter asking them to provide written assurance that if I make the payment in full they will remove the collections from all credit agencies, is this the correct route?

Unrelated to all this, how much does being an authorized user on a credit card with someone with good credit help and consequently can my poor score affect them? My mother, brother in law and sister all have great to excellent credit and are willing to put me as an authorized user on long standing accounts without providing me the card. If we do this, will this improve my own credit score? Also, can adding me as an authorized user hurt their credit score due to my own low score?

Thank you!

To your first two questions.  It is always worth asking them to do a pay for delete.  And because the $83 is such a small amount they may be willing to do it.  As far as being a AU, yes that will help a lot to get your score up.  You are still going to have to get some credit on your own but this might help.  After they put you on wait a couple months then apply for a Cap 1 card or a secured card.  You are going to have to show that you can be responsible with credit without being a AU.

johnnybinsea

Sorry, forgot to answer the last question.  No your credit will not affect the others on the accounts.