Question

Garick0

How much credit history will I need to get a better credit card?
I tried applying for a United Mileage Plus Explorer card and was denied with the reason - "Not enough accounts opened long enough to establish a credit history". Pretty soon after I tried again with the Chase Sapphire Preferred card and was denied again with the same reason. My credit score is 712, which I thought was pretty good, but I've only been in the US for just over a year and had my credit card since January. Can someone please tell me how many months I need to wait to be able to apply and be approved for one of these credit cards?
Alternatively, should I just be applying for more easily approved credit cards and have a few easy to get credit cards first to get enough of a credit history to apply for one of these better cards? Thanks!

Yes, you should be applying for cards that are easier to get. Get yourself 3 or 4 cards total and let them age for 6 months or a year in good standing before you try to apply for any of the better cards.