Question

jeraymondjr

How many secured credit cards should I get to improve my very poor credit score?
I've recently begun the process of rebuilding my credit. I started with a secured credit card with a $500 limit. I've read that opening additional lines of revolving credit can help. How many and what's too many assuming I use them responsibly and only use less than 40% of the credit limit?

Most Helpful Response

It's not so much how many cards you get, but about how you get them. It's important to move slowly and methodically, since applying for a lot of credit at once can really hurt our scores.

Use your present card for six months or so. Then apply for another card (which will still probably have to be secured, but who knows?). Use those for six months or a year, then apply for another card (maybe unsecured by this time). And so on.

Eventually you can add other types of credit to the mix, and with good long-term management, you've got a good score!