Question

Takotsubo

How many credit cards are too much when applying for a mortgage ?
Hi all: Not in the market yet for a mortgage, but I had heard that having too much credit can cause you to not get past underwriting for a mortgage. I wondered if there is any truth to this and what exactly this credit limit and/or number of accounts this is. About me: Have a FICO in the 770s (FICO 8) with Vantage on CK showing about 780. I have about $60,500 in available credit across six credit cards my usage is usually about 12% that is paid off in full every month. These number exclude student loans which are being paid as agreed. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Most Helpful Response

There is no one-size fits all answer for your question. Every credit profile and income level will be different and what may be too many cards for one person, may not be for another person. Requirements among lenders will also vary. I would leave all as is and only cancel cards if your mortgage lender wants you to in order to approve you for the mortgage loan.