Question

CSchilling3

How long will it take my credit score to improve after paying down credit card debt?
I had excellent credit until about 5 months ago. I maxed out two credit cards very quickly do to medical treatments. I have always made timely payments on all my bills, rent, auto loan payment, credit cards, and student loan payments, etc. Unfortunately, I still have high utilization on my credit cards as I'm unable to make hefty payments on them, though I make the minimum payments per month plus a little extra when I can afford. I'm no longer using those cards in an effort to pay them down. I'm really worried this is going to negatively impact my ability to find a place to rent. My current lease is up in June and I am unsure if I will be staying in the current place I am in. If I continue to make timely payments on my cards and no longer show 100% utilization on my cards do you think a still somewhat high utilization would still negatively impact my ability to find a home?

Sounds like your on the right track

Make the biggest payments you can on your cards and get that debt down as much as possible.  

As far as the rental, The best advice I can give is to try to find property owned by a private party. They are less likely to actually check your credit and more likely to rent to someone they can have empathy for.