Question

ArchFelix

How long will it take for changing credit utilization ratio to affect my score?
I got a secure credit card about 1yr 8mos ago. I was under the mistaken assumption that utilizing it a lot (it is currently at 62%, but I have been paying the entire balance every month) would show healthy credit activity. I now understand that I should keep it at around 10-15% utilized at all times and have already started. My question is: how long will it take, keeping the balance constantly at that 10-15% rate, for my utilization percentage to affect my credit score? I'm afraid that the answer is I have to keep it at that level for another 1yr 8mos for it to finally offset. Thanks in advance for any & all advice!

Most Helpful Response

Your utilization will change every month and it will reflect on your credit scores right away. If you've lowered your utilization, you will be rewarded score-wise next time your creditor reports to the credit bureaus. Don't worry, there is no long wait.