Question

medel67

How long will DFAS stay on credit report?
DFAS is stating that I owe about 1750 for payment however I informed them that the money I got was for a couple of weeks I was active. DFAS has told me that I have to prove this with paystubs. 10 plus years later I don't have the paystubs. My file was open in 2004 and closed in 2011 however it was reported on Feb 25, 2016. How long does DFAS stay on my credit report?

dfas staying longer than 7 years

i am experiencing something similar with dfas.  mine was a governemtn overpayment of $5800 apparently.  it was schedualed to drop from my credit file in march 2016.  problem is (i assume) when i filed my taxes a few months ago in feb 2016, the treasury garnished my $52 tax refund and applied it to the balance due to dfas. keep in mind this was schedualed to disapear in like 15-30 days from the date they garnished the $52 tax refund.  talk about bad luck i guess.

all of my credit karma profiles showed the dfas account was removed...at which time my score jumped up over 100 points on each.  now its back and all my scores have dropped over 100 points.

from my understanding....weather a payment was made or not (in my case i didnt make a payment.....they took my tax return and applied it), the 7 year time period is not effected no matter what (aside from judgments, etc).

is this accurate??  does anyone have any experience with payment being garnished and applied??

even if the payment was made, this shouldnt restart the 7 year time clock, correct??  i understand the SOL can restrart by making a payment....but i didnt make the payment.

this was a government overpayment, charged off as loff/profit.