Question

WoofBills

How long to keep an account open?
I recently had to open a CareCredit account to cover veterinary expenses. I put $4,000 of the charges on this account. I intend to pay this amount off within the next 2-3 months. I would like to close this account after I pay off the balance as I do not intend to use CareCredit again. My question is will it negatively affect my credit to close this only 3 months after opening? Is it better to keep it open with a $0 balance for a certain period of time? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

I have a Care Credit account that I used for dental expenses and later for veterinary costs.  There is no balance on it but the $1000 credit limit still shows as a positive in my credit score so I am keeping it until THEY decide to close it. Then, I might end up taking a small "hit" on my credit score because of loss of that line of credit.

Just hang on to that card.  11Keep it in a safe or lock box, but keep it.