Question

Mgrimaldi711

How long till a "mistakenly" collection account comes off my report?
I never paid my gym cancellation fee and the creditor assigned a collections agency to collect my dept, long story short, I settled my debt with the original creditor and he told me he would call collections to close my account since I did not owe anything anymore. I called the agency myself to make sure this was true, they said my name is no longer on collections and I show no balance with them. So why is this still showing on my score? I contacted the agency again and they said they have nothing to do reporting this amount to my credit report, but they put it there in the first place!! How could I get this off my report, it shouldve never gone to collections in the first place.
My score was 771 and now it is 705!
Advice please, I want my score the way to it used to be!
Thanks

`You called them so all you have is what you heard them say, but you have no documentation of that conversation?  Sorry, but without some written proof, you may have to wait until this falls off your credit report and you can find out that date by getting copies of all three reports and checking them. If it is going to be a while, you might want to write a polite goodwill letter to ask them to remove it from your credit reports. I do suggest you read the aticles on this site so yoiu can greatly benefit from learning how credit really works.

Mgrimaldi711

So you're saying I can contact all three credit report agencies and they could tell me when this may fall of my report? I called the collection agency today and they said it may take up to 45 days to show off my report. It's been almost a month since they first reported this debt, and a little over 3 weeks since I fixed this issue with the original creditor. The weird this is that it only shows as a derogatory account on my TransUnion credit score. No where else. Could it be better to dispute this through them and let them deal with the collection agency? I just really want this off my report. I hate that I've works good to have an excellent to let something this little mess it up. 

What you currently have is a verbal agreement at best, they can "tell" you whatever they want, however actually "doing" it, it's whole different story. So what Jwsister saying was get it in writing whenever you are dealing with creditors and especially when comes to collection agencies.

-

Make your situation bit more murky is that you are dealing with three separate entities, original creditor, collection agency and credit bureau(s). Sure, you settled the debt with original credtor, but since it is in collection, then I would've find out who actually own that debt, there are big difference between "send" and "sold" to collection, which the two did "assigned" to collection falls under?... If it was sold to collection? Then paying original creditor won't do you any good because the collection agency own and have collection authority on that debt... If it was send to collection? Then you would ask original creditor if they can recall the collection when you pay directly to original creditor... Normally when a account been sold to collection, the original creditors aren't suppose to take any payment on that debt, but we are talking about a gym here, they either didn't know or simply don't care, unlike banks they have to follow certain regulations.... Now the credit bureaus, they only determine if an entry can or can't be included in your reports with-in the guidelines of FCRA and any rules/regulations regarding collections, they are not a legal arbitrator of the debt. As long as the infos they received is correct? It should continue to be on your report.

-

However, you are most certainly can and probably should file a dispute with each credit bureau because it can't hurt, either original credtor or collection agency might held true to their word, they might just need little bit of push. if that still dosent work? You can file a complaint with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and your local BBB... Best of luck.