Question

IWantMyGoodCreditBack

How long should I take to pay off a 14K auto loan to improve my credit?
I have heard 12 months + to help raising my score. I can pay it off sooner but want to take as much time to benefit my score as possible.

Auto and personal loan balances

have a negative impact on your score until you have paid back 50%+ of the principle. 

If you can afford to make large payments toward the principle each month, do so until you get the balance to below 50%. Be sure to make Separate payments noted as "Principle only" in addition to the regular monthly payment.    Be sure to check with the lender, many have penalties for early pay offs.

The answer already given was good, but let me add, paying off and closing loans actually HURTS your credit. As already advised, get the loan paid down but not off for the best results regarding credit scores.